Note: As a special bonus for our “Green-Inspired Connection” readers, we have a recipe card to print or keep on your computer for you right here… Just click the image at left to complete the FREE download.
My 2-year-old loves the greasy french fries she gets out with daddy in restaurants, and I’m totally at peace with it. HOWEVER, for home, I thought it would be fun to make her fries that were fresh and actually pretty healthy. She LOVES THESE!! Just a few ingredients, simple recipe, and seriously delish!
By the way, Fresh Fries are: vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, (optionally) raw, oil-free, low sodium, portable, fast, and easy.
YIELD: 8 appetizer servings
EQUIPMENT: Cooking pot, Chef’s knife, Measuring spoon
TIME: 30 minutes or less
INGREDIENTS (TO COOK)
6 medium potatoes
1/8 medium pumpkin
1/8 teaspoon natural salt
INGREDIENTS (ADD AFTER COOKING)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 hass avocado, diced
natural salt, to taste
sweet paprika or chili powder
1. Set 2 liters of water to boil. While you’re waiting for the water to heat up, cut the pumpkin and potatoes into fry-shaped slices. You’ll end up with about 8 cups of fry-shaped slices. Keep the potatoes and pumpkin separated. [Note: See the back of the recipe card if you’d like some guidance on slicing!]
2. When the water is boiling, add 1/8 teaspoon salt and the potato slices. After 5 minutes, add the pumpkin slices and cook for another 7-10 minutes. Be careful not to over-cook, or you’ll end up better off eating mashed potatoes instead of fresh fries!
3. Drain the water. Either keep covered and allow to cool OR add just enough ice to bring the temperature down so that it’s warm not hot, then drain again.
4. Add the cubes of avocado, lime juice, and additional salt as desired, and serve warm or cold.
5. Optional: Sprinkle paprika or chili powder for garnish.